Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Handmaid's Tale Post #6

I really did not like the ending of this book!!!!! I'm so upset that I have no idea what happened to Offred. I'm not sure if Nick is good or bad. Or if she is going to the Colonies or getting saved. "and so I step up, into the darkness within; or else the light" ..... what kind of an ending is that??? Boo. My prediction is that Nick was actually a good guy and that the van is taking her to freedom. If it was taking her because of something she did wrong, i feel like Serena Joy would have known about it before it showed up. Also I don't think that Nick is bad, because he wouldn't have been messing around with her all that time, and then turn her in. I think he would have turned her in a long time ago if he was working for the true "believers". The other person that I can't figure out is the new Ofglen. Is she bad or good? At first when Offred is trying to figure out if she is a true "believer" it seems like she is, but then she gives Offred inside information right before she leaves, that I feel like she would have gotten if she was a "non-believer" maybe she is a "non-believer" but she was just acting like she was a "believer" in case Offred was a spy and would tell on her for being a "non-believer". Sorry, i'm not sure if that made any sense. Anyway right now i'm just confused with how the book turned out.

1 comment:

  1. I am really sorry that you did not enjoy the end of this book... I am somewhat torn myself whether or not I liked the end of this book. I think that in the end after Offred enters the van, she escapes Gilead, and lives a long happy life with Nick. I wish they sort of had a sequel to this book... just so I would know what happens to her! I admire her strong character throughout the entire novel. I feel as if she has had the most consistent character, with the same values throughout the course of the book. Even through her affairs with the Commander, and Nick, she still sticks to her guns, and stays on her position of being a "non believer". I think that Ofglen is a good person because she basically sacrificed herself for the safety of Offred. If she had not killed herself the Eye would have come and taken her to be tortured to death, and eventually rat out Offred as a "non believer". I believe Offred states how lucky, and thankful she feels that she is still alive... but still under control by someone other than herself.

    ReplyDelete