Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Handmaid's Tale Post #4

One of the things that stuck out to me in chapter 30 was when Offred was contmplating whether or not she would be able to forgive the people who have done all of this terrible stuff to her, and the other women in the society. She says she thinks that it would take a while, but she would be able to forgive them eventually. I personally don't think I would ever be able to forgive them. They have treated completely horrible, and wasted a big portion of her life. If my baby and my husband got torn away from me, I would never be able to forgive the people who have done it.

That reminds me, one of the things that I am a little unclear about is her relationship with Luke. Parts of the story make it seem like Luke was cheating on his wife with Offred, but parts of it make it seem like Offred and Luke are married. I'm confused about what their relationship was.

Something else that comes as a huge surprise to me is how Serena Joy suddenly starts being very nice to Offred. It is very strange that she would go behind her husband's back and try to help Offred. Then again though, the commander is going behind his wive's back also. The two don't seem to have a very trusting relationship, since they are both hiding things from each other.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Holleigh. I would definitely have to agree with you on the subject of forgiving the people who took Offred's husband and daughter away. I would rather honestly die than to forgive such insensitive people like that. You can see that Offred still suffers from the losses of Luke, and her daughter. She has many flashbacks of her time with Luke, and when she is shown a recent picture of her daughter, she is overcome with much sadness. I know that my opinion of dying before forgiving seems a bit over dramatic, but I feel being over the top in describing my feelings really get the job done here in this blog of mine.

    To answer your question, I believe that Luke was married before to another woman, and Offred and him had an affair together. After a while, Luke divorced his old wife, and then married Offred.. Hopefully that point of clarification helped you understand the story more.

    Why do you think Serena Joy is all of a sudden nice to Offred? Do you think it is because she sees Offred's sadness with her life, and it is somewhat of a pity treatment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, I was about to help clarify Holleigh's question regarding Offred's marriage to Luke, but you beat me to it!

    Just wanted to say that I like your question at the end here!

    ReplyDelete