Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Handmaid's Tale Post #5

I was really shocked when I read about "the club". I never would have suspected that they would have a place like that. I guess it kind of makes sense though. People have to be able to have some kind of fun. With all the restrictions they have, it seems like it would be so hard for them to get away with it though.

In any event, I really liked the chapter about the club because it was so out of the blue and unexpected. I was very glad to hear that Moira is alright. And it was cool to hear about her journey and how the people tried to help her escape Gilead. The way the people helped the women escape was very similar to the underground railroad. Reading this made me think of not only how in the book these people jeapordized everything, but but also about history, how much people risked to do what they thought was right. Back when people got caught for helping slaves escape through the underground railroad, they would have horrible consequences. Like the past, in the book, the people who get caught face terrible punishments. It made me think about, that even when an entire society is out of control, there are still some good people who believe in doing what is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment