Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fools Blog Post

For this blog post I decided to write about "When it Changed" and give my thoughts on the Novel.

I found the story to be a bit confusing. It really threw me off how in the beginning of the novel it seemed like it was a "normal family" (husband, wife, and kids), and then it was not until about half way throught reading the story that I realized, it was actually two women who were married. I've noticed throughout this semester, all the stories that we have read have been like this. None of them have any explanations, and they all jump right into the plot. On one hand this is kind of cool because it makes the book/story more like a mystery, but on the other hand it sort of ruins the work because you spend half the time you're reading trying to figure out what's going on so you can't enjoy the writing.

Once I got the jist of what was going on in "when it changed" I found it very interesting. It is almost like Whilaway is the opposite of Gethen. On Whileaway the female gender dominates, and on Gethen (even though there is not supposed to be any gender) it seems as if the male gender dominates. It was cool to see another authors view of what she thinks life would be like if there was only one gender instead of two.

Another relationship I noticed between Left Hand and When it Changed was the people's resistance to change. Just like when King Argaven gets furious when he thinks of starting a nation full of perverts, Katy freaks out when she sees that the men are trying to come back to Whileaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment