Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Handmaid's Tale post #1

One of the main motifs of this book that I have noticed is the color red. Everything is red, and even when you know something is red, Margaret Atwood stresses the fact that it is red. I think that the red symbolizes fertility. So far, throughout the book, one of the big issues that is discussed is the "luck" of getting pregnant. I don't really understand why all of the Handmaids want to get pregnant. Why is it so much better that they get pregnant. What does it "fix". Do they not have to work after they get pregnant?

Something else that I don't get is why certain people got assigned to certain roles, and why other people got assigned lower or higher roles. And the big question I have is what happened to the society? They havn't really given us the background yet. I get that somebody came in and took over, but i'm not sure why. It doesn't make sense that the asian tourists are free, but the narrator isn't. Is this book supposed to be set in a colony? If so, why don't the people just leave?

No comments:

Post a Comment